Thursday 9 August 2012

Weekly Catch Up

Because of the summer holidays, golf competitions have been flying out of the roof, so even on golf courses, some interesting wildlife can be viewed. We started off on Saturday, with a monthly medal at Cretingham Golf Club, which was Kingfisher full. I have seen these key fisherman before here, but not recently. We saw about 3 Kingfishers flying around ponds and over fairways. That was mainly it for that competition, which was made even better when I got a cut from 23,to 20, this being my handicap. As you may have gathered, I was quite a bit under my handicap (-4 to be exact).

The next competion was on Sunday, and it was a 9 hole course at Stonham Barns. I didn't play brilliant, but I went round in 37, with par being 29. My best round this course is about 32, so with a round like that, I would have won it. A nice sight though was a pair of Redpoll, mixed in with some Linnet, and Green Woodpecker families too.

On Monday, I was at Purdiss Golf Club, and another Kingfisher sparkled my round, but I still didn't play very well. Then, Tuesday was back at Stowmarket, and with the local Buzzard taking to the wing, it scared most of the other birds away. Another couple of Kingfisher at Ufford on Wednesday, and Rushmere produced plenty of Linnets and 2 more Buzzards. The next 4 days were all at Stowmarket, and a summary were Green Woodpecker, Buzzard, Linnet and Kestrel. In two of these rounds, I came in the top 5, incredible.

I took Mum to the patch on Thursday, and the Great-crested Grebe pair have still got their 3 young, followed by plenty of Black-headed Gulls.


Great-crested Grebe with young


Treecreeper

A few patch ticks were a Goldcrest, and 2 Treecreeper. We spent a bit of time looking for the Banded Damoseille too, and here's what I got.

Male Banded Damoseille

The last little thing is recently, I have been collecting egg shells, no, not eggs, just the shells. I have got 2 in my collection so far, one being a Woodpigeons, and the other one I need some help on readers. This ones the pigeons...

Quite glossy, a bit fatter than the other shell

Here's the other one, possibly a Collard Dove?


Please comment your suggestions. Thank you.

The day before this post was written, Dad and I went to Minsmere, so have a look at that to see how we got on, in a couple of days time. Happy Birding.

No comments:

Post a Comment