Thursday 21 February 2013

I only wanted one, not 9!

I was with my Grandparents for a majority of the day, and in the morning, granddad took me to Christchurch Park. I was hoping to add Mandarin onto the year list, to make it 128. I had never seen a drake Mandarin before, and I wasn't expecting to see one. In total, we saw 6 Drakes with 3 Females. Incredible.






We have also never seen the resident female Tawny Owl, named "Mabel." We didn't even know where her tree was. We got directions, and found the tree, but she wasn't in, obviously skiving. LOL. Other birds about were Stock Dove, Siskin, Great-spotted Woodpecker and Jay.

I will update the Daily Sightings page after this post, sorry if you are frustrated about it not being updated. One of the highlights of the week so far was my first Tawny Owl of the year at Stowmarket Golf Club. It was on hole 17, where two birds were calling at 4pm, then one flew across the fairway. Not bad for a 127th specie for this year! Mum and I are going to Levington Creek this afternoon, and maybe a visit to Felixstowe to see if any Waxwing are around - 50 yesterday. 

Happy Birding!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ben lovely photos and vid , what amazing looking ducks Mandarin are , still not seen one this year yet , atb Rob

    ReplyDelete