Thursday 17 April 2014

BTO Day

Had a great day at a BTO Young Conservationists day at Thetford yesterday run by the the BTO and Lucy McRobert - A Focus On Nature.

We got introduced to the BTO staff, and then got started on the workshop. I did Bird Ringing first with the ringer. I was enjoying this with Toby Carter, a great young birder. I handled my first ever bird - which was a Robin - which I released after being caught in the mist nets. other things we rung and released included 2 Blackbird, Great Tit, 2 Goldfinch, Wren and a Mallard! (which was quite amusing).

I then looked at Bird Surveys, which was more talking and less doing. Jim then turned up, and I completed a Better Birding workshop with him. I also met Ellis Lucas, another great young birder, and Findlay Wilde. Both superb young conservationists.

We then had lunch, and then we gave our speech's - nerve racking! All seven of ours went well, and then Jim and 2 other people gave their speech, while having a big talk about the future of birding.

It was a great day, and I'd love to do one again. I want to thank the BTO and Lucy for inviting me along and making the day really enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment