Sunday 30 June 2013

Isle of Mull - Day 6

Once again, sorry about the wait. Just haven't had time to do anything towards this blog. I did though write about the distressing news of that White-throated Needletail though, which was an extraordinary shock.

*****************************

Target Bird: Redstart

A very early start at 5am sent Dad and I to Ardura Oak Woodland to try and crack the Redstarts. We got there and could here the local Wood Warbler, and then I heard a familiar sound. It was the Redstart. We had both Canon Cameras, and tried to locate it. When we did, it was a cracking male. We took tonnes of pictures, but they were all blurred!!

We went back to the hotel and woke up Mum (she was already awake actually - LOL) and headed back to Ardura with better light in our favour. We got there, and he was still singing. We even got better pics!






We also got the Wood Warbler.


We also got Spotted Flycatcher too.


We had already clocked Cuckoo, Tree Pipit, Stonechat, Whinchat, and Willow Warbler, when I looked up and saw 4 White-tailed Eagles together!

Here's 3!

We then got a Golden Eagle flying over too. We then went to Grasspoint again, and we got to the viewpoint. Someone pointed out 2 White-tailed Eagle sitting in the tree top which was a nice sight. I then had to check my hearing because I could hear a Grasshopper Warbler reeling from the long grass. I went ot have a look, and it flew out of the grass and onto the top of a heather for all of a bout 5 seconds. Cracking stuff. First for the year! We headed to the Golden Eagle nest back in Glen More, but the White-tailed Eagles we had seen from the car park at Grasspoint, we sitting right near the road!



We got to the Goldies nest, and a adult bird was on the nest.


I got a Crossbill flock flying over our heads chipping away, but I couldn't see them.

I've been in really bad form in terms of Golf these past 2 weeks, but I'm playing today, so hopefully that will change. 

Happy Birding!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ben great pics of the Eagles , i have never seen that many together :) thanks for taking part in quiz , just to give you a clue of this weeks bird , it is a pipit but not a rare one , i am sure you have seen them this year on one of your trips , please feel free to have another guess if you want too . cheers Rob

    ReplyDelete